Subscribe to Computing Intelligence

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Quotations

Since I'm feeling a little down on my own thoughts lately, how about a few snippets of thought from other, more famous people?

"If in other sciences we should arrive at certainty without doubt and truth without error, it behoves us to place the foundations of knowledge in mathematics." - Roger Bacon, English philosopher, scientist, and Franciscan friar, 1220-1292

"The mystic reverence, the religious allegiance, which are essential to a true monarchy, are imaginative sentiments that no legislature can manufacture in any people."
"It has been said, not truly, but with a possible approximation to truth, that in 1802 every hereditary monarch was insane."
"No real English gentleman, in his secret soul, was ever sorry for the death of a political economist."
- Walter Bagehot, English economist, 1826-77

Some quick comments on the above quotations:

Do any of my readers recognize that first quotation? I'm hoping some of you can tell me where it is from (I'm just curious about the activities of some of my readers).

This comment is directed at Cornucrapia - I threw in that last quotation by Walter Bagehot just so you know the ramifications of your chosen topics of study.

0 comments: