Subscribe to Computing Intelligence

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Overheard on the subway

Yesterday I was riding the subway home when I ended up sitting across from a trio of high-school girls. Although I tried not to eavesdrop (I usually try to capitalize on my transit time to get some reading done), the subject the girls were discussing was university. The speech that particularly caught my attention was the following:
"I'm so excited to start university; you have so much free time! I mean, you only have two or three hours of class a day, it's nothing like high-school!"
I kind of wish I could be there to see her get her first list of required readings, or her first problem set. It's true that high-school is nothing like university, but, unfortunately for this young girl, it is in the opposite sense from what she thinks (at least if you're doing it right).

0 comments: