Subscribe to Computing Intelligence

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Oh, how I miss the sciences...

I had forgotten how frustrating I found the task of writing papers. It is now 2:30 in the morning and I am sitting with a comparative essay between the presentation of the role of spirit, anger, and manliness in motivating political action in Thucydides' On Justice, Power, and Human Nature and Plato's Republic. I have a maximum word count of 1500 words, I have already removed three paragraphs, I am currently sitting at a little over 1000 words, and I have yet to mention Plato. Granted, I was planning to focus most of my analysis on Thucydides since I find Plato annoying to read, but since it is a comparative essay I really think I ought to at least mention both works...

I do enjoy writing, it's just that I always found essay writing in humanities and social science classes had a distinct feeling of futility involved. Perhaps it is like music and epic poetry in that I just don't get it, but I think I made the right decision to devote my life to science and not try to pursue a career in history as one of high school history teachers seemed to hope I would. Anyway, I should stop procrastinating, push that feeling of futility into the back of my mind, and cram some Platonic analysis into whatever space remains between the beginning of my last five hundred words and the wonderfully epic concluding paragraph that has been hopefully fermenting somewhere in my brain for the last few hours.

0 comments: