Subscribe to Computing Intelligence

Monday, April 23, 2012

Start of the Week Quotations

I cannot believe it has been nearly a year since I added another set of these.  Here are this week's quotations:

"With five free parameters, a theorist could fit the profile of an elephant." - attributed to George Gamow, Russian-born American physicist, 1904-68

"That kind of patriotism which consists in hating all other nations." - Elizabeth Gaskell, English novelist, 1810-65, in Sylvia;s Lovers

"I've kept political diaries ever since I went into politics... I'd love to do a political memoir, but a lot of people will have to be dead first." - Maire Geoghegan-Quinn, Irish politician and current European Commissioner for Research, Innovation, and Science, 1950-

"Personally I feel happier now that we have no allies to be polite to and to pamper." - George VI, King of Great Britain and Northern Ireland from 1936, 1895-1952, spoken to Queen Mary on 27 June, 1940

"O Freedom, what liberties are taken in thy name!" - Daniel George (Bunting), English writer, 1890-1967

"If you can actually count your money, then you are not really a rich man." - J. Paul Getty, American industrialist, 1892-1976

Since it has been so long since I have put any of these up, I think it is worth reiterating that my inclusion of a quotation is not necessarily an endorsement of its content, but rather just means that it is something that I found either amusing, thought-provoking, or otherwise interesting as I (slowly) progress through a copy of the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations.


0 comments: